Saturday, 9 November 2013

Yorkshire - part deux

So there I was away far from home with no children and partner and did I miss them? Not really. I was so surprised by this and still can't quite get over just how much I DID NOT fret and worry and be anxious. I don't know why this was. Was it because I knew that the boys would be fine with their wonderful dad? Was it that they are now older and not as dependant on me? Was it that they were probably glad to see the back of me?

Anyway day 2 saw a lie-in and a long leisurely breakfast. After this non-rushed morning we took a train into Leeds. Wow. Hw it has changed since I was a student there in the late 80's. Now I knew it had changed alot but it was lovely to see it for myself ... from the new airport-like train station, to the new shopping centres.

Now some things are still the same - The Whitelocks in the city centre still draws the thirsty crowds for a pint. It's the oldest pub in Leeds and it's not every day I get to drink in a pub that was first opened in 1715!!! http://www.whitelocksleeds.com/history/ We came here after a brief spell shopping when some clothes were purchased and some Lego for my boys (go home without a present? I'd be thrown out!).

We then took a bus up to the University. Oh my. The feelings that this trip aroused were so strong - I have such happy, happy memories of the place. I was young and carefree, full of life, confidence and optimism. It was 25 years ago and alot has happened since then but it felt like yesterday. Memories of friends, parties, fun and laughter. I want to go back again and take my family with me. The Social Science Building is being renovated so I couldn't get in for a nosey.



Autumn at LU
Many an hour spent day dreaming in that library

Access denied


So we wandered up to the Union and there was alot of activity and we realised there was a concert happening (some death metal type group. I politely expalined to the bouncer that I was a long lost alunmi and her said we could go the the bar - happy days. So we went to the Old Bar which was probably one of the last places I visited in Leeds and remenber taking my mim, dad and wee brother there when the came over for my graduation. We got a pint and settled ourselves. The memories came flooding back and we laughed and cried and it was so nice to reminise with my oldest friend who started at what was Leeds Poly when I was in my final year at the Uni. Again I would love to bring my family to see a place that means so much to me. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/20014/about
 
 
I did talk about how things might have been ... if I had studied a different degree, if I had not come back home but stayed in Leeds etc but then I cam across this and it made me think about how happy I am and what a lovely life I have:
 
 
 
VIEW YOUR LIFE WITH
KINDSIGHT
STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP
ABOUT THINGS FROM YOUR PAST.
INSTEAD OF SLAPPING YOUR FOREHEAD AND ASKING:
"WHAT WAS I THINKING?"
BREATHE AND ASK YOURSELF THE KINDER QUESTION:
"WHAT WAS I LEARNING?"





 

2 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Yes it is better not to go down the 'what if' road isn't it? I had a catch-up with some friends yesterday who I had known for over 40 years and that brought back so many happy memories of when we were young and single. It sounds like you had a really good time with your friend.

floodproofmum said...

It's lovely to visit memory lane every so often. I do beat myself up sometimes too. But we wouldn't be who we are without those choices made. Glad you enjoyed your time away from your family :)